Free drum lessons are provided by Jim McCall and Ultimate Drumming. The free drum lessons provided below are designed as samples of the interactive experience you will find by signing up for our Online Drum Lessons. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced drummer, you will find Jim’s lessons to be challenging, fun and rewarding. We are adding to the Online Drum Lessons library all the time so continue to check in with us.
Free Drum Lesson Instructions:
1. Memorize the key and say the letters out loud when playing. X O L X O L W L. You will use this same key for later variations.
2. Play slowly at first and only increase speed after becoming familiar with the pattern while maintaining strict tempo.
3. Learn the hands only before trying to add the foot.
4. Add the bass drum on beats 1 and 3 and become comfortable with the pattern before adding the optional bass drum on beat 4.
5. Add bass drum on beat 4 and explore different tempos.
6. Add hi-hat on beats 2 and 4.
7. Add hi-hat on beats 1, 2, 3 and 4.
8. Memorize Clave pattern and play with foot on hi-hat or cowbell pedal.
9. Add foot Clave pattern to the rest of the X O L pattern.
10. Impress everyone with your dexterity, rhythmic skill and music knowledge!
Latin Drum Lessons
Students will really enjoy Ultimate Drumming’s Latin Drum Lessons. In these lessons we explore both traditional and contemporary Latin rhythms. These exciting rhythms are really fun to play and sound fantastic.
Jazz Drum Lessons
Advance your jazz drum chops with Ultimate Drummings Jazz Drum Lessons. Learn the basics of beginning and advanced jazz rhythms, independent coordination, improvisation and music comprehension.
Rock Drum Lessons
Have fun with Ultimate Drumming’s Rock & Roll Drum Lessons. In these lessons we cover all the popular Rock & Roll beats and fills that have been used on 1000’s of hit songs by some of the greatest drummers in the world.
Country Drum Lessons
Take advantage of Ultimate Drummings Country Drum Lessons. Learn the many different beats and fills of Country music with Ultimate Drumming. Both traditional and contemporary country drum grooves are discussed.
Tips For Beginner Drummers
- Always count out loud. By counting out loud or saying the sticking pattern you will learn the rhythmic pattern in the fastest way possible.
- Counting out loud gives you an audible reference where the notes will be placed. Counting also takes the edge off of the coordination.
- Practice lessons slowly at first and get comfortable with the exercises before increasing the tempo.
- Make sure to keep the counting at a steady pulse when increasing the tempo.
- Plan a practice schedule at regular intervals during the week and stick to it for best results.
Beginners Guide To Drumming
The first tip we recommend for all drummers is to schedule regular practice sessions. Getting the right type of music lessons from a skilled instructor and scheduling regular practice time is necessary for learning any musical instrument. The more you practice, the better you will get and the better you get, the more fun you will have with the music. Musical talent comes from practice, desire and the amount of time you put into your instrument. At ULTIMATE DRUMMING we have all the tools to develop your talent to the max. Remember “practice makes perfect” and most of all 100% Drumming fun is guaranteed !